Coyle Tiernan Addison
Young smuggler with two pasts.
Character Statistics [[# stats]]
|~ Physical||~ Score||~ Mental||~ Score||~ Special||~ Score||~ Special||~ Score|
|Agility||4||Intuition||3||Essence||6 (4.35)||Matrix Initiative Passes||1|
|Reaction||5||Logic||4||Magic||0||Physical Damage Track||9|
|Strength||2||Willpower||3||Initiative||6||Stun Damage Track||9|
|~ Active Skills||~ Score||~ Knowledge Skills||~ Score||~ Language Skills||~ Score|
|Con||5||Magical Theory (Druidic)||2 (3)||English||Native|
|Etiquette||4||Linguistics||3||– Seattle accent||Native|
|Leadership||4||Mythology (European)||2 (3)||– London accent||Native|
|Tracking||2||Black Markets||2||Street Lingo||4|
|Pilot Ground Craft||3||
Contacts [[# contacts]]
- Rodney St. James //(Connection 5, Loyalty 4)//
- Former academic w/ research focus in magical artifacts
- Now operates in grey and black markets as ‘finder’
- Closer than purely business relationship due to his past relationship with Coyle’s parents
- Firebrand (Wen Jing) //(Connection 3, Loyalty 4)//
- One of the runners who raised him – only one actually left alive
- Former decker, largely retired
- Still puts some info up on Shadowland and similar, but tries to keep out of the way
- Crafted fake identity to hide behind – rarely contacts as a result
- Walter Fischer //(Connection 1, Loyalty 1)//
- Bureaucrat at UCAS Customs
- Can sometimes help push papers
- Sorta trusts Coyle not to smuggle anything TOO dangerous
- Totally a business relationship, but needs the money badly
- Gambling debts
- Child support
- Keeps quiet for pay, but would turn Coyle in if found out
TODO update contacts based on where campaign is home-based
- First Impression
- +2 dice to any first-encounter social interactions
- Black Market Pipeline
- 10 percent discount on magical gear
- +3 dice pool for negotiating sales of magical gear
- Halves learning time for new languages
- Improves skill with languages by +2
- +1 dice to Con skill
- has a legitimate UK identification
- is registered as a UCAS citizen
- Willpower + Intuition (3) Test to resist
- Triggered by exposure to Renraku corporate logo or uniforms
- If fails, incapacitated by flashbacks for 1D6 minutes
Character Equipment [[# equipment]]
Weapons and Ammo
|~ Weapon||~ Dmg||~ Ammo||~ AP||~ Reach/Range||~ Mode||~ RC||~ Notes|
|Stun Baton||6S(e)||10||-half||Reach 1||SS||—||Recharges 1 charge/10 sec|
|Defiance Protector taser||6S(e)||3(m)||-half||Range HoP||SA||—|| Laser sight _
Gecko grip (PAN or buttons; +6 to hold; can stick to surfaces)
|Ares Crusader MP||4P||40©||—||Range LP||SA/BF||2|| Top mount _
Barrel mount _
Clips: 5 _
Integral gas-vent 2
|Ares Predator IV||5P||15©||-1||Range HP||SA||—|| Top mount _
Barrel mount _
Clips: 5 _
Smartgun system (+2 hit)
|~ Ammo Type||~ Amount||~ Dmg Mod||~ AP Mod||~ Armor||~ Notes|
|Taser darts||50||as taser||-half||I||n/a|
|Reg LP||100||as pistol||—||B||n/a|
|Reg HP||100||as pistol||—||B||n/a|
|~ Armor||~ B||~ I||~ Notes|
|Mortimer of London knockoff||5||3||Like Actioneer (incl. conc. holster, +2), but Euro-style|
|Victory Light Armor Clothing (jungle camo)||3||0||+2 dice to stealth|
|Victory Light Armor Clothing (forest camo)||3||0||+2 dice to stealth|
|~ Vehicle||~ Hand||~ Accel||~ Speed||~ Pilot||~ Body||~ Armor||~ Sensor||~ Notes|
|Rover 2062||+1||20/35||140||2||13||10||2|| Amenities (High) _
Off-Road Suspension _
Passenger Protection 2 _
Anti-Theft System 2
This uses the same stats as a Rover 2068, but it is an older model. Coyle bought it used from a retiring safari guide via his smuggler contact.
This vehicle has 13 upgrade slots (based on Body). Seven of these have been consumed by the previous owner’s upgrades.
|~ Upgrade||~ Slots|
|Additional Fuel Tank||1|
|Amphibious Upgrade 1||2|
|Gun ports (2)||1|
|Biofiber smuggling compartment||2|
- Base Upgrades
- Amenities (High): Comfier seats, small refrig, small bar; seats 6
- Off-Road Suspension: On-road handling suffers 1 point penalty; off-road, 1 point bonus
- Passenger Protection (2): 2 dice pool bonus to reduce damage from accidents
- Anti-Theft System (2): Verbal warning w/in 1m; 10S(e) electric shock upon failed break-in
- Aftermarket Upgrades
- Additional Fuel Tank: +6 hours operation time
- Amphibious Upgrade (1): Sealed engine compartment and doors; can drive through up to 4’ of water, slowly.
- Skinlink: Basic skinlink built into normal manual vehicle controls
- Gun Port: X2, 1 per rear seat. 4 points RC, vertical and horizontal 90-degree firing arc with full armor protection
- Rigger Adaptation: Modified for rigger control
- Satellite Comms: Equipped with a satcom system for wireless access even when far from any sprawl.
- Biofiber smuggling compartment: The lower deck of the vehicle holds a biofiber-enclosed storage compartment large enough to stuff a couple of bodies. The former owner used this to smuggle illegal game.
- Standard Winch: 10-ton lifting capacity; steel cable with standard hook
Cyberware and Bioware
|~ Cyber/Bio Item||~ C/B?||~ Essense Cost||~ Notes|
|Nephritic Screen R2||Bio||0.2|| _
+2 dice pool to resist drug addiction _
Reduce duration of effect of drug/toxin by 40%
|Vocal Range Enhancer||Bio||0.1|| 2 singing) _
Can imitate voices (Cha + Con vs. Perception + Intuition)
|Control Rig||Cyber||0.5||Can rig vehicles|
|Attention Coprocessor R3||Cyber||0.3||+3 dice to Perception Tests (non-Matrix)|
|Cybereyes R4||Cyber||0.5||Includes recorder, image link; natural appearance; (16)|
|Low-light enhancement||Cyber||2||Can see normally in light as dim as starlight|
|Flare compensation||Cyber||1||Eliminates vision modifications for glare|
|Microscopic Vision||Cyber||3||400x microscope|
|Smartlink||Cyber||3|| Act on gun (eject clip, fire gun, change modes) via PAN _
+2 dice pool bonus on ranged attack tests
|Thermographic Vision||Cyber||2||Can switch to IR vision mode|
|Vision Enhancement R3||Cyber||3||+3 dice to visual Perception Tests (non-Matrix)|
|Vision Magnification||Cyber||2|| Up to 50x magnification _
If spend an action to Take Aim, can reduce range to Short
|~ Cyberdeck||~ OS||~ Response||~ Signal||~ System||~ Firewall|
|Transys Avalon||Novatech Navi||4||4||4||3|
- Sim Module (Hot Sim)
- Subvocal Microphone
|~ Software||~ Rating||~ Notes|
|Browse (Crashguard)||5||Part of Singularity Seeker package|
|Browse Agent||3|| Part of Singularity Seeker package _
Pilot 3 _
|Analyzer||5||Part of Iris Antivirus package|
|Purge||5||Part of Iris Antivirus package|
|Negator||5||Masks Renraku logos from AR|
|~ Thing||~ Notes|
|Lifestyle||1 month Middle|
|Fake SIN R3||Ronan; generally uses this ID|
|Fake SIN R1||Liam; burn identity for black-market contacts|
|Climbing gear||Ascent/descent harness, carabiners, rope, etc.|
|Respirator R3||Provides +3 dice to toxin resistance tests|
|Survival kit||Knife, lighter, matches, compass, rations, etc.|
|MAD Scanner R2||Handheld – used to check smuggling compartment|
|Snake Mesh Socks||2 Impact armor on lower legs|
For all of his fake identities, Coyle relies on some real details of his real life. He generally creates identities who have an Irish or Scottish heritage, since he is of Irish descent (though diluted). Though he really, truly, legitimately is Coyle Tiernan Addison, Coyle usually uses his Everett childhood identity out of habit.
Coyle Tiernan Addison [[# coyle]]
Born May 5, 2052 in Cambridge, UK.
- Professor, magical theory and applied mythology (particularly druidic and other European mystic sects), University of Cambridge
- Born August 15, 2016
- Died ca. December 11, 2058
Father: Arthur (Elf)
- Professor, literature
- Born January 3, 2014
- Died ca. December 11, 2058
Coyle’s paternal grandparents lived in Ireland, but they moved to the UK (specifically, Scotsprawl) in 2011. His father grew up in Scotsprawl; his mother, in London. They met when attending Oxford. Both parents went into academia after graduating Oxford. Though his father’s linguistic research drew some interest (due to the rise of Sperethiel), his mother was the true star academic. Her doctoral research into the mythological roots of druidic magical theory won her a highly-desirable research position at Cambridge, which she eventually leveraged into full professorship and tenure. Her father worked at several universities in the Cambridge area, eventually using his wife’s name and his years of experience to move into the University of Cambridge in 2048. With their relatively busy professional lives, Coyle’s parents waited until fairly late in life to start a family, leaving him an only child.
When Coyle was only 6, his mother was offered a Renraku-sponsored visiting professorship at the University of Washington. She would be given access to Renraku and UW datastores and laboratory facilities, working with some big name academic mages to expand upon some of her earlier theoretical research. Renraku and UW believed that her research might be expanded to create stable astral passages or portals, though the theories were only starting to be worked. Kiera convinced Renraku and UW to offer a visiting professorship to Arthur as well, allowing her to bring her family along to Seattle. The visiting professorship was granted in 2057, and the family moved to Seattle that July for a planned 4-year research assignment. To smooth their daily lives, the family applied for UCAS citizenship, becoming citizens in early 2058 when Coyle was just 5. As a result, Coyle maintains dual citizenship (UK and UCAS).
Unfortunately, Coyle and his parents were trapped in the Renraku Arcology when Deus took over in August of 2058. Both parents were killed; Coyle only survived thanks to the help of some street-savvy locals who had also been trapped. After the Arcology was shut down, Coyle’s protectors managed to escape with him. Legally, however, Coyle was listed as Missing, Presumed Dead. Coyle walked out of the Arcology with almost nothing; however, he had managed to grab his parents’ personal computers, which he kept with him for years afterwards.
One of the shadowrunners who rescued Coyle, a decker named Firebrand, crafted a false identity for Coyle and taught him to survive in the sprawl. Coyle spent his adolescent and teen years kicking around Everett and Bothell, slowly learning to help his “adopted family” with their runs. Coyle was never a big fighter; he was always more the type to talk himself out of danger. He started his shadowrunning career by acting as a distraction (e.g., look at the poor little lost child) and eventually graduated to become kind of the Face of the team. By 2066, the surviving members of Coyle’s “new family” were looking to retire, but Coyle was too young and too wrapped up in the life to look at winding down so soon. Besides, he had no money of his own. As a last favor to Coyle, Firebrand tweaked Coyle’s real identity, purging any mention of the Renraku Arcology incident (something Renraku had already largely done) and falsifying enough information to bring Coyle back to life. Firebrand also managed to find some money that Arthur had hidden away in a trust for Coyle; this lost money helped Coyle get started “in the business.” As a result, as a starting character, Coyle has more equipment than the average greenhorn runner and may be mistaken for having more experience than he actually does.
While Coyle doesn’t have an actual formal education, he did keep himself very well-educated for a sprawl-crawler. He is educated enough to pass for a graduate, and his false background includes a high school diploma and lists him as a liberal arts college student at UW who dropped out after his freshman year.
Coyle’s break into the running business was sort of a fluke. When Firebrand did the background workup on Coyle, he found that one of Kiera’s old professor friends had gone grey market. Coyle and Firebrand contacted Rodney quietly, and Coyle slowly built up a relationship with the man; after all, Rodney felt for Coyle’s loss and was willing to tell him stories about his mother and father. After Coyle and Rodney began to trust one another, Coyle managed to talk his way into working for Rodney occasionally to help get some money. Coyle and Rodney still talk, but they work together less often now. Rodney will contact Coyle if he really needs help moving certain items, but much of their relationship is now more friendly than business.
TODO where has Coyle spent the past, say, year? Need to know campaign base to finish this.
Ronan Callaghan [[# ronan]]
Fake identity, UCAS citizen (R3).
Born May 5, 2052 in Everett, WA.
Firebrand created this identity for Coyle after rescuing him from the Renraku Arcology.
Ronan is an orphan whose parents were killed in the Renraku Arcology incident. Ronan was with a friend in Seattle at the time, leaving him parentless but alive. Having no close living relatives, he was handed over to a Saeder-Krupp childcare facility. Ronan was a competent but far from excellent student and did not particularly stand out in most academic situations (aside from languages), though his teachers always noted that he was personable and friendly.
Ronan worked for Saeder-Krupp part-time as a marketing professional during high school. He used this money, as well as the money from his parents’ life insurance policies, to pay off his corporate care costs. After graduation, he leveraged his linguistic talents into a career as a guide. His freelance company provides vacation tours, primarily for private individuals, and primarily in North and South America. Ronan does not promise that he is an expert in any particular area; instead, he promises to find a local expert and pay that local expert out of his fee. In exchange, Ronan provides translation services and ensures that the vacationers receive the type of experience they desire.
Off the record, Ronan’s company (as a registered corporation called Go//Native//) provides him with an excellent cover for his smuggling activities. He accepts smuggling contracts only through known contacts. As a result, his smuggling business has started off somewhat slowly. Ronan is trying to use the legitimate tours to help him network so that he can expand both his legal and illegal businesses.
Officially, Ronan has been to various countries in both North and South America. He has not yet been to Europe.
TODO refine this concept based on changes to the initial campaign setup.
Liam Quinlan [[# liam]]
Fake identity, UK citizen (R1).
Born May 5, 2050 in London, UK.
Liam is a burn identity that Ronan (Coyle, but acting as Ronan) created.
Liam has only the most basic of backgrounds, going back only to 2066. Liam attended secondary school in a ritzy neighboorhood in London. He is a trust-fund kid, running the shadows for personal excitement. Ronan uses Liam’s identity only when he is doing something illegal but has a slim chance of actually being tied back to it. Liam is a cheap identity with enough background to fool cursory examinations; he’ll be thrown away as soon as he is exposed.
Coyle sometimes gives Liam’s name when first meeting new contacts. Liam could eventually be traced back to Ronan by a very dedicated and skilled decker. However, in most cases, exposing Liam to be a fake ID will lead nowhere. Coyle watches Liam’s background in various databases and has alerts set up to shred the identity if it is ever truly compromised.
Physical Description [[# physicalDescription]]
Height: 170 cm (~5’7")
Weight: 72 kg (~160 lb)
Hair: Reddish-brown, trimmed short
Coyle is slight and wiry, tending somewhat to the short side. Coyle is familiar with altering his appearance and does so whenever needed. He keeps his appearance consistent for his different personas.
As Coyle, he generally wears glasses (though he does not need them) and is clean shaven. He speaks openly and confidently, maintaining the appearance and persona of a middle-class college-age kid who just hasn’t quite figured out what he wants to do in life. Coyle often pretends to hold down menial jobs for money, but in general his alibi is that he’s traveling to see the world before he goes back to college to “get a real life.” Coyle dresses “normally,” preferring to avoid armored clothing; if he carries any weaponry (very rare), he carries his taser.
As Ronan, Coyle goes without the glasses and tends to wear heavier clothing to make himself appear slightly larger than he is. He also wears shoes with lifts to raise himself to a more average height (~178 cm, or ~5’10"). He often wears “safari-style” clothing, including his Victory armor when needed. Ronan will also sometimes carry a pistol or two when in rough areas, but only when he can do so legally (he will carry concealed if required, but he generally stashes his weapons in his truck). Ronan wears a close-trimmed beard; Coyle also darkens his complexion very slightly when posing as Ronan.
As Liam, Coyle wears suits and sunglasses. Liam dresses and acts more like an upper-echelon professional than either Ronan or Coyle. Coyle also uses some makeup and a difference in posture to make himself look slightly older than he really is.
Basic Personality [[# personality]]
Coyle is almost always outgoing and personable. He seems to know how to read any person or situation and know just how to break the ice in any conversation.
Coyle has a little bit of a temper, but over the years, he’s learned to rein it in and slap a smile back on his face. He’ll never let it show that you’ve pissed him off, but if you really get under his skin, Coyle can and will hold a grudge. He’s not likely to try to extract physical revenge, however; he’s more likely to screw you over on future deals or put you in a position where you’ll screw yourself over.
Due to his time in the SCIRE, Coyle distrusts the otaku. Rationally, he knows that not all technomancers are the Children of Deus, but the emotional baggage of that time prevents him from really being able to believe that.
- Coyle goes out of his way to avoid Renraku products and locations. Toward that end, he has installed filter software on his commlink so that he can automatically purge references to Renraku from AR. Coyle does this to avoid thinking about the things he saw in the SCIRE; just seeing the Renraku logo can be enough to throw him into flashbacks of his time trapped by Deus.
- Despite spending most of his childhood in a rough area, Coyle has neglected to really become comfortable with firearms. Coyle always prefers to talk his way out of bad situations; he will resort to shooting as a last resort only, and he prefers his taser to an actual pistol.
- Coyle has learned to choke down soykaf and Stuffer Shack fare, but he has somehow managed to retain the more refined palate from his childhood. Whenever he has a fresh paystick in his pocket, you can bet you’ll find Coyle trying to arrange “a real meal” at an upper-crust restaurant.
- Coyle’s Irish heritage shows in his taste in alcohol – whisky or scotch, if you please. Coyle’s been known to engage in a drinking contest or two; he’s got a relatively strong tolerance for his size, but his ability to drink fellow runners under the table is really down to the nephritic filters he had installed on the down-low during one of his trips to Denver.